Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Altec horns & dust......

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Russnohio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2007
    Posts
    215
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    At least once a month I need to clean the dust out of my model 19 811 horns. I just use a soft clean damp cloth and wipe it out, then I follow up with a dry one. I'm gonna rig up a thin wood dowel with cotton on the end to be able to reach back into the horn throat. Question: If I were to use the "probe" attachment on my vaccum cleaner....would the powerful suction damage anything in the driver assembly? Stupid question maybe but I'm concerned it could loosen that phase plug or pull it out of place.
    5

  2. #2
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I doubt it would harm the phase plug at all but I suppose suction could have an ill effect on the diaphragm if enough was directed into the tube. I would use a small computer type vacumm brush rather then a standard home nozzle.

    Most driver still have the factory installed dust screen inside of them unless it was removed.
    Be careful not to push it in. Also avoid any brush that is metal.

    Gary

  3. #3
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    A 79 cent painters tack cloth makes a great all-purpose duster.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.